Can Dogs Eat Apples

Are Apples Good or Bad for Dogs?

When you have a dog, it is important to learn what a dog can eat and what you should avoid. Most people know that dogs should be kept away from chocolate, due to its theobromine content being poisonous to canines, but how about fruit? Can dogs eat apples?

The quick answer is yes, dogs can eat apples, as long as you make sure you remove the core, and seeds before giving the fruit to your best fur friend.

Apples & Dogs

Not all fruit is good for dogs, but apples can make a great and healthy snack for your canine, and one that doesn’t contain unnecessary calories or artificial additives. Apples are natural and full of dietary fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C, and when fed in the right amount – they can help boost your pup’s immune system and keep them healthy.

There is a saying that goes like this: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” and there is truth to this also when it comes to dogs. This doesn’t mean you should overdo it, but apples are considered safe for dogs to consume.

Remove Core and Seeds

Before you feed apples to your dog, it is crucial to remove the core, stem, and seeds. The seeds contain small amounts of cyanide, which could be harmful to dogs in larger amounts. Cyanide is only released when you chew apple seeds, which is why it’s usually not considered a big risk for humans and animals if they were to swallow a seed or two.

With dogs, however, it is always best to take precautions and remove the seeds carefully. You may also want to peel the apple to make it easier for the dog to eat (especially if you own a small dog), but the peel is not toxic or harmful. Just make sure you wash the apple to remove any dirt or pesticides.

Dog sitting in the green grass with apples

How to Feed Apples to Dogs

Not all dogs like apples and fruit, but interestingly – many do seem to love the sweet taste and crunchy texture! You can give your dog small pieces of apple, but there are also other ways to make apple treats more fun for dogs! Let’s have a look at some of the ways you can introduce your dog to apples.

Apple Bobbing

Apple bobbing is a great game for hot summer days, and all you need is water, a bucket, and a cut-up apple. Fill the bucket with water and drop the apple pieces in there, and let your dog try to fish them out with his (or her) mouth.

The reason apples work better than some other types of treats is that apple pieces float – the bob, which means the dog won’t have to stick its whole face into the water to grab the treat.

Frozen Apple

Does your dog get bored a lot? Why not try and freeze an apple to provide some entertainment? Remove the core, stem, and seeds first, and then place the apple in the freezer for a few hours. You decide whether to also remove the peel.

For extra fun – fill the hollow space left in the middle (after removing the core) with yummy dog treats or any dog-friendly snack.

Training Treats

Apples and other dog-friendly fruits and vegetables can also be used as training treats, and especially if you are worried about your pup’s weight. A good tip is to put apple pieces in a bag with treats and let the flavors mix, and that way even a picky pup might agree to train with apple rewards.

Dog eating apple while lying down in the ground

How Many Apples Can a Dog Have?

Overfeeding is never good, no matter how healthy the treat is, and you should make sure you use apples only as an occasional treat. Treats should only make up 10% of a dog’s daily diet (with the other 90% being the dog’s food), and a small dog should naturally be given a smaller quantity of apples than a larger dog.

Worth Keeping in Mind

Don’t be disappointed if your dog doesn’t seem too thrilled when you offer an apple as a snack, as not all dogs like it. You can try a few different things like slicing the apple, freezing it, and smearing some (xylitol free) peanut butter onto it, and if that still doesn’t pique your pup’s interest – consider trying another healthy treat instead.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *