Guest Blogs

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

GUEST POST by Alexander Vargas.

For humans, grapes are a delicious snack that many consider a better and healthier alternative to potato chips, candy, and fast food, but is grapes a good snack for dogs? We are going to jump straight into it and tell you this: Grapes are not good for dogs, and you should keep grapes away from your pooch at all costs.

This may come as a surprise to some, and we are going to try to shed some light on why grapes are so bad for dogs, and what you can feed your dog instead.

The Problem with Grapes

Some foods are good for dogs and some are bad, but grapes are considered very bad for our four-legged friends! What is tricky about this fruit is that it’s not known exactly why it is so toxic to dogs. Recent studies have shown a link between the potassium bitartrate and tartaric acid content and kidney failure in dogs, but more research is needed.

Dogs Are Affected Differently

Perhaps you are one of those who have fed grapes to your dogs for years without anything happening, but that’s where it gets even more complicated. Grapes appear to cause kidney damage in dogs, which might not be evident right away, and some dogs seem to be affected while others are not.

What to Look Out For

Accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are, your dog might end up getting ahold of a few grapes without you realizing it. Is it an emergency, or what should you do if your dog eats grapes?

The best thing you can do is call your veterinarian. Many vets will recommend induced vomiting if your dog ingested the grapes recently, and this is best done at the vet office or after consultation with a professional. Don’t experiment with induced vomiting at home if you are not sure what you are doing.

Grape Poisoning Symptoms

In other scenarios, or if a few hours have passed already, your vet will most likely advise you to keep an eye on your dog and to bring him in if he starts presenting symptoms. That said – what are the symptoms of grape poisoning? Let’s find out.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Lack of Appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive Thirst
  • Stomach Pain
  • Kidney Failure

If you know your dog has ingested grapes, and if you start noticing any strange or unusual behaviors – then it is best to hurry straight to the vet even if they initially told you to hold off and wait.

Better Safe Than Sorry

It is great if your dog has been unaffected by grapes so far, but is it really worth the risk? Until we know for sure what the issue with grapes is, and why some dogs can get deathly ill after eating only one while others can eat grapes continuously for years, it is better to keep those grapes to yourself.

How About Raisins?

Grapes are essentially dried raisings, and they are just as bad for dogs as fresh and ripe grapes. With this in mind, you want to make sure you think twice before feeding your pup a human cookie or piece of bread, and that you double-check that it does not contain raisins.

Many parents give their children raisings as a quick snack, and everyone knows how messy it can get when a young child eats. If this is the case and if your dog tends to hang around the child’s chair – waiting for whatever may fall down – you might want to consider leaving the dog in a different room during snack time.

Better Alternatives

Grapes may be dangerous for dogs, but there are many fruits and vegetables that are perfectly safe and very healthy for our canines! Dogs can eat apples, carrots, broccoli, bananas, and much more, and there are hundreds of safe options you can feed instead of grapes.

Summing It Up

To summarize everything that has been said in this article – no, grapes are not good for dogs and can, in fact, be deadly. Some dogs appear to be able to eat grapes without any severe consequences to their health, but it is always best to keep grapes far away from our furry friends, just to be on the safe side.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.